This is basically a 3 ingredient potato cake although you could add a handful of fresh parsley if you’ve got it handy. I make these more often than any other because they are so simple and I always have the ingredients – so no rushing around for special spices etc.
It goes well with baked beans or vegan sausage and we sometimes have it with rice and dal and a light salad.
1 kilo floury baking potatoes like King Edwards or Maris Piper(don’t use waxy potatoes)
2 teaspoon onion powder or granules
2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast (I use Bob’s Red Mill or Cal but these are not easily available in the UK – you may find it in Wholefoods or online. I recently bought Cal from ebay although the postage from the US is high, click here. The other choice is Marigold Engevita which is available in health food stores or from Goodness Direct)
½ teaspoon salt
Handful chopped parsley (optional)
Oil for frying
- Peel potatoes and cut into big chunks and boil, about 20-25 minutes
- Strain the potatoes and mash well
- Add nutritional yeast and parsley and salt
- Form into round potato cakes – large or medium is up to you
- Heat oil in frying pan for shallow frying
- Fry potato cakes for about 3 minutes on each side until nice and brown