What could be simpler than this awesome brown rice & chickpeas dish…..serve with a salad of your choice or like I did with some cauliflower bhaji and you will surely have this on your list of weekly must-haves – I do!
300 grams brown Basmati rice
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons kala zeera (black zeera looks much like cumin but smaller – see here)
2 teaspoons lightly crushed whole coriander seeds
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 heaped teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add kala zeera
- Give it a minute and add coriander seeds, followed by chickpeas, turmeric, onion powder and salt
- Fry for a minute or two and add the rice and 650ml of water
- Bring to boil, lower heat, cover and cook for about 20-22 minutes
- Stir the rice intermittently until the broth has been absorbed and rice cooked (add a little more hot water if required)
We had ours with some cauliflower bhaji – click here for the recipe!