If you’ve not tried Fava beans you’ve missed out big time! I usually just buy Egyptian, Lebanese or Saudi style fava beans in tins as these are so quick and easy for lunch or as a side dish with some veg. The other day it occurred to me that I had never actually tried buying plain fava beans in a tin and popping in some of my own flavours….this has now been remedied and here we are, fava beans in a jiffy and you can add whichever herb(s) you wish; thyme, marjoram, oregano, mint, parsley or coriander as I have in this recipe.
Goes well with the Maneesh (click here for the recipe) I also made the other day or cold with a green salad.
1 tin of fava beans
1 medium onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons oil
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon cumin powder
A little chopped fresh coriander
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil until golden
- Add turmeric and cumin powder and on low heat give it a quick stir or two
- Drain the beans and add to the onion mixture
- On low heat, stir the beans to blend with the spices for 3-4 minutes
- Sprinkle some fresh coriander and lemon juice