Yellow mung or moong dal is mung bean which has been split and the skin removed. It is easy to digest, cooks very quickly and doesn’t need to be soaked. It has a creamy, earthy flavour. Not always available in supermarkets in the UK but you can buy it easily in all Asian stores. It is best garnished with fried onions which complement the mild flavour of the mung dal.
Yellow mung (or moong) dal
1 cup mung dal
1 teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1½ inch piece ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, grated
2 tablespoons oil 1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 dried red chilli (optional)
- Wash dal and add turmeric, ginger and garlic.
- Bring to with 3 cups of water. Cook on low heat and don’t cover completely or it will boil over
- When dal is soft and mushy add salt and cook until it is the right consistency – some people like it thicker than others so it is a matter of preference!
- Heat the oil and add chilli
- Give it 10-15 seconds, take off heat and add cumin seeds followed by the onions
- Fry gently until onions are golden and pour tarka on dal.
I couldn’t resist popping in the glowing red chilli I had just bought!