This is a simple, rich and tomatoey pasta which doesn’t require much else and is bliss served by itself. The whole garlic bulbs are sweet and creamy when cooked with the sauce. If you wish you could serve with vegan meatballs or vegan sausages. We also had some spinach on the side.
The only downside to this this recipe is that although it is very simple, the tomatoes do need to be simmered on low for a few hours…..this is what makes the sauce rich and creamy and so very perfect transforming a regular tomato pasta into food fit for angels and all things heavenly.
You could use any sort of pasta but I opted for Casarecce which is currently my favourite. Summer is here, so what better time to buy a bag load of ripe, sweet tomatoes and make your pasta divine.
400 grams pasta, I used Casarecce or whatever you prefer
1000-1200 grams large ripe tomatoes, sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
100ml red wine (optional, replace with water)
3-4 whole bulbs of garlic
Some fresh herbs – whatever you have growing in the garden; marjoram, basil, oregano will do fine
Vegan meatballs to go with the pasta (VegiDeli by VBites, click on link)
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and add all the chopped tomatoes, salt and red wine
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer on low heat for about 2.5-3 hours…yes, you do need to cook the tomatoes really well
- After a couple of hours of cooking the tomatoes, mash them with a potato masher. Pop the whole garlic bulbs, a little water if required, cover and cook for a further 30-60 minutes until the sauce is thick and rich
- Add 700ml water, bring to boil and add the pasta. Cook on low for about 20 minutes, stirring to ensure it doesn’t stick to the pan
- Add fresh herbs, stir and serve with vegan meatballs or sausages if you wish