This is a variation of one of many Iranian rice dishes and this crispy potato based rice is simple to prepare and delicious with salad or a light curry.
So we just boil the rice as usual, pop it on a layer of sliced potatoes and steam to create a fabulous dish of crunchy and moist potatoes with rice – a simple, appetising dish of rich to be served with either a salad or a light curry – we had it with aubergine with chana dal cooked with soya mince and it was a huge success! Click here for the aubergine recipe
4 good servings
300 grams Basmati rice, soaked for 1 hour at least
4 large waxy potatoes, sliced
1 cup frozen peas
3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon salt
- Rinse rice, add salt and boil in a large deep pan with lots of water
- Good quality basmati rice will take about 3 minutes from boiling to cook – keep it al dente
- Strain rice in colander and add the peas and gently stir to mix
- In the same pan, put the oil and 4 tablespoons of water
- Layer the potatoes on the base of the pan
- Top it with rice, cover the lid with a clean tea cloth and steam on med/high for 5 minutes, reduce heat to low and steam for further 15 minutes.
- To loosen the potatoes, place the saucepan in an inch of cold water in the sink for 3 minutes